Firefighters responded to a 999 call in Shortlands Road at 11.24pm last night (Thursday 10th February).
Two fire engines were sent to the house and arrived within minutes of receiving the emergency call. A breathing apparatus team extinguished the fire in the lounge of the property, with a hose reel. A thermal imaging camera was used to check for fire spread and flooring was cut away with small tools.
Crews then used a special fan to clear smoke from the house.
A man was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.