Kent County Council (KCC) Trading Standards have advised that a local elderly resident has been targeted by bogus council officials into paying £4,000 for urgent home repairs.
Here's what happened:-
- Cold called by two men claiming to be from Swale Borough Council
- Told occupant that they needed urgent repairs to be carried out on their house
- The work would cost £4,000 but that they would be able to claim the money back
If this happens to you here's what to do:
- Do not respond to cold callers
- Check the identity by calling your local council on a number you have. Do not use any phone number the cold callers give you - it may not be genuine.
- Report to Kent Police on 101, or if you feel threatened call 999.
- Please warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours.
- Report it
Find out about how scammers may be trying to target you and your family during the Coronavirus pandemic. We can all be vulnerable to these criminals and the best way to protect yourself is to make sure you are aware. KCC Public protection have created a page that lists scams that are using the Pandemic to target you. Please visit: https://www.kentpublicprotection.info/covid19alerts.