Kent Coiunty Council's Trading Standards Team are warning local residents to be vigilant after several people in the Sittingbourne area have been sent fraudulent cheques drawn on companies like SKY, HMRC etc.
The details are as follows:-
• Resident receives a cheque which is said to be a refund for an overpayment.
• They are contacted by the criminals within a day or two informing them that the amount refunded was too much.
• They are given account details and asked to transfer the excess by bank transfer.
• After the transfer is complete the cheque bounces as it is a "counterfeit cheque" and the resident loses their money.
Here's what to do:-
• Be suspicious if you receive a refund cheque (whether expected or not) and confirm with the actual company that the cheque is legitimate.
• Contact your bank for help and advice if you have deposited a refund cheque or paid out funds against it.
• If you have already been a victim of this type of crime call Kent Police on 101 to report.