East Grinstead Town 2 (0) -v- Sittingbourne 4 (3)

East Grinstead Town 2 (0) -v- Sittingbourne 4 (3)

Report by Mike Green

Saturday (27th November) afternoon's match saw Sittingbourne move up one place to sixth in the League.

It was a real game of two halves with the Brickies excellent in the first half when they scored three goals and then seemingly taking their foot off the gas in the second which allowed East Grinstead Town to pull two goals back. Sittingbourne had a chance after just 5 minutes when Mohammed Abdulla found Johan Caney-Bryan who fired in a shot that East Grinstead Town’s keeper tipped round a post.

The Wasps were having problems against the slick passing of the Sittingbourne side and on 17 minutes a long ball over the top of the Wasps defence found Duane Ofori- Acheampong who unleashed a shot that keeper Matte Pierson tipped over the bar. Sittingbourne continued to press and had the ball in the net, but the “goal” was cancelled out as the ball had taken a nick off of a Brickies player who was in an offside position.

Sittingbourne were well on top and on 29 minutes Caney-Bryan fired the ball at Pierson but he could only parry the ball back to the Brickies forward who passed to Ofori-Acheampong and the loanee from Hungerford found the net for Sittingbourne’s first. Sittingbourne continued to press and Ofori-Acheampong made it two 5 minutes later.

Things got worse for EGT when right-on half-time Caney-Bryan fired into the net to make it 0-3 at half time. EGT needed to do something urgently and the new managerial duo of Drew Cooney and Tony Beckingham brought on Seidou Sanogo, and this turned out to be almost a turning point for the Wasps.

The half was just 8 mins old when Richard Pingling threaded the ball through to Sanogo who gave Brooks no chance with a shot into the corner of the net. A familiar face to the Brickies, Miles Cornwell came on as a sub for EGT on 76 mins to booster their fire power.

Sittingbourne couldn’t find the rhythm that they had enjoyed in the first half and with ten minutes to go ex Brickie and new signing for EGT, Omar Folkes, had a shot which Brooks could only parry out to Sanogo who fired the ball into the net to make the score 2-3.

Sittingbourne have a history of letting 3 goal leads slip but all thoughts of this being repeated were dispelled when Ofori-Acheampong made the game safe with a 4th for Sittingbourne and a  hat trick for himself with just 8 mins to go.

Sittingbourne Played: Harry Brooks, Samuel Okoye-Ahaneku, Taylor Fisher, Tyler Christian-Law, Marvin Hamilton-Omole, Duane Ofori-Acheampong (Harrison Pont 83 mins), Jedd Smith, Kane Rowland, Ahmed Abdulla (Sam Flisher 83 mins), Johan Caney-Bryan (James Hawkins 66 mins) and Emmanuel Dasho. Subs not used: Toby Bancroft and George Monger. 

100% Local Radio for Sittingbourne